Hearing the words ‘moving home’ alone can be enough to induce stress – especially if you have moved several times throughout your life and know exactly how much time, effort (and sometimes tears) the process requires. Thankfully, there are plenty of steps that you can take to make moving home a stress-free experience. However, before you can even apply this knowledge to packing up your home and starting anew, you need to figure out exactly where you want to live.
While you may already have a vision in mind of exactly what your dream home looks like, actually finding a house to call home is easier said than done. However, this does not necessarily mean you have to settle or adjust your budget. With that in mind, here are some top tips for finding your dream home.
- Don’t expect properties to be the perfect fit before you move in. Instead, view them as a blank canvas where you can let your own creativity and personal style run wild. For example, there are plenty of steps you can take further down the line to liven up your home – and you can even give your home’s exterior facelift if it looks a little worse for wear.
- Some vital tips for finding your dream home is to narrow down the search process slightly by limiting your search to a specific area. For example, while you may already have a specific town in mind, can you narrow it down to a certain area within this town? If you plan to raise a family, this decision may be based on how close certain properties are to certain schools, childcare, or educational facilities. You should also consider exactly how long you are willing to commute for each day or proximity to public transport links.
- If you can’t find your dream home, why not build it? Many home-seekers often disregard this idea as they view it as too fanciful or expensive, when in reality, this does not have to be the case. You can always work around your budget or realign your vision slightly. Furthermore, building the perfect home has never been easier, especially if you work alongside reputable companies such as Simply Living Homes, who can talk you through every step of the process.
- While you may be keen to move out of your current property and start anew as soon as possible, it’s also important that you don’t rush the process and sign a contract for a house you haven’t fallen in love with. This will only lead to feelings of frustration and disappointment further down the line. It is much more beneficial to keep an eye out for opportunities and wait until you’ve found the perfect fit before you take the plunge and decide to move.
- Don’t discount a property based on the fact that the landlord or agent has taken bad photographs. However, in the same mindset, don’t trust that the photographs are entirely accurate. Ensure that, at the very least, you attend a virtual viewing before putting down any money. This way, you know exactly what you are buying ahead of time.